Friday, April 27, 2007

The Death Of The Black Book

As we go further in our relationship, she asked me to discard the little black book today. Throwing it out would mean that I'm willing to take the relationship to the next level. By keeping the book it would mean that I'm not ready to take this relationship more serious. So what should I do, should I get rid of the book or should I keep it and perhaps ruin the relationship. I could always put the book in the hands of a friend on lease or something if the relationship should happen to end. I don't know.

Once the book is gone then you have the question of when is the engagement and then the children. Oy vey.

The book is more then just phone numbers now. It's memories. The good ones and the bad ones. The ones that tried to kill me and the ones that tried to kill me with love. She's well aware that her phone number isn't the last number in my book. She's second to last. I got another girls phone number the same day we met. Good thing I chose her. Who knows how my life would've been like if I dated the "other" girl. I haven't seen the "other" girl since that first encounter.

I've had the book since senior year at high school. Had it almost filled up until I met my current longest ever relationship.

I've made my decision, I'm going to get rid of it. It needs to be remembered. A gathering of about 50 ex's will do to commemorate this sad occasion.

Little Black Book, I hardly knew you.

10 comments:

kimmyk said...

I don't think you should get rid of it. Maybe put it away with all the memories of the past, but if it's something you've had since your senior year it's more than a book with the numbers of your ex's in it. it's history and it's yours.

i wouldn't get rid of it.

moving onto the next level isn't necessarily going to happen because you discard a book. or should it really. i really think you should keep the book. if it were something you had made in the last year or so yeah get rid of it, but from a time when you were 17 or 18 years old? keep it. put it away or pack it up with old memories and give it to your parents to store.

Kate Michele said...

Damn....such a stud you are.... how many numbers???

Beyond Me said...

just keep your damn book. your acting like im asking for a lung.

when I was thinking of getting rid of my black book I started having memories too. i was hoping you would fight me on it.

kimmyk said...

BM-I think if you have a book you need to keep your book too.

Memories.

ysfb said...

Like I was going to actually throw away the book. I'm taking that book to my grave.

Kate Michele said...

I just want to know how many pages this "book" is.....

Beyond Me said...

i've seen it. im not impressed.

Ladyred said...

just start a new one if things don't work out? i can understand the memories, but then it just gets inn the way and old.......i finally threw mine away because i'm like "do i really need this to remember? no. and some i don't even want to remember". *tapping head* it's all in here, and i really would never call them again anyway. have fun on your trip! if you don't get rid of it now, you will later.....just a part of growing up.

Insanity Supreme said...

Bury the book in a time capsule. Dig it up when you're old and grey.

greg said...

Losing the black book would indeed be a big step in being more dedicated to a relationship. But then again, it would be something I wouldn't suggest doing until the relationship is at the "engagement" step. That step would mean you are ready to forget the past and move on with the future.

I believe the book is more of a safeguard just in case the relationship goes sour.

My book is more like a limb to me now. If I lose it then I will slowly bleed to death, in the metaphorical sense. It has all my numbers of friends and girlfriends. I've always ended a relationship on a good note. I couldn't get over just a simple break up if she is upset.