Saturday, January 20, 2007

Rebel Child of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s

I love all kinds of music. I was just wondering what I'd be doing if I was growing up a teenager in each decade.

If I was a teenager in the 60s, I'd be a true Janis Joplin, The Who and The Doors fan. I'd keep my hair long and wavy. I'd hate everything about the government. I would runaway from home every night just to be free. Walking down the street humming "Break on Through to the other side" wearing my unpatriotic bandanna smoking some weed and hanging out until the day I die. That would be the life and death of me. Dying young and happy.



Ah, the 70s. I could see myself fitting in with the glam rock scene. I'd be the toughest son of a bitch out there. I'd keep my hair crazy. The government will still be my oppressor. The Vietnam War will end. I'd still be everywhere protesting everything because I hate everything. I would be not giving a damn humming Baba O'Riley screaming "Teenage Wasteland"! Nothing makes me happy. My music will be my way out. I would zone everything out and go into my own world. I would come out every once in awhile to play in my KISS cover band. I would want to die old and still rocking.



Welcome to the Jungle baby! You're gonna die! I would love this decade! The 80s would be one of the best years to be a teenager. Axl Rose would be my idol. I'd grow my hair long and be the pissed off angry guy everybody likes. As for the government, I wouldn't even care if it existed. I would have more important things to do, like myself. The only important thing in my life would be my music and nobody else. I would always be the follower. I would fall in the class of people that did drugs like the rockers. I would dropped out of high school trying to reach a dream I know in my heart would never happen. I would die young in an alley wondering where my life went wrong. I wouldn't be happy in my last years.



This is my decade. Growing up a teenager in the 90s. What a decade. Life for me in this decade as a teenager was hard. I kept my hair really short or really long but I usually just wore a hat. I was always to myself. The government sucked. I didn't care about anything. My early years as a teenager dealt with the darkest times of my life. I found relief, as usual, in music. Nirvana and Jeff Buckley were who I listened to. Of course both lead members died at a young age. One of them was suicide and the other was drowning, great hope for me.



Then I heard of Marilyn Manson. Really wrong direction for me to go in my state.



To be honest with you, when I first heard of Marilyn Manson, I thought I would never listen to such filth. Today I have all his Cd's. Go figure. What's weird about it, is that Marilyn Manson kind of made me who I am today, which is the total opposite of what he is.

So today, I just love music of every decade 60s-current. When I'm feeling unhappy, I put in something from the 90s. When I feeling happy, I put in something from the 70s. When I'm angry, I put in something from the 80s. When I'm a little stoned, I put in Janis.

Nowadays, the main artists I listen to now is Marilyn Manson and Incubus. What a helluva a combination.

I like the darkest kind of goth metal to the most light hearted rock groups from Death to Green Day.

6 comments:

Kate Michele said...

I would so be that kinda of teenager in the 60's...actually I was that teenager...only in the 90's....I was one of the hippies!!

I personally don't care for Manson, but I like everything else..Incubus is one of my favs too. Though I drive by Manson's high school like at least once a week!!

Anonymous said...

Very eclectic tastes in music. Music makes my world work. Without it I am not sure I would be.

Beyond Me said...

If I had to pick a decade, I would pick the 60's. Everything would be so care free.

kimmyk said...

I loved growing up in my house in the 70's because my parents listened to CCR and my mom loved Janis. Everytime I hear her I remember my mom singing and dancing to her and then crying. I can't tell you how many times I saw "The Rose" with my mother.

80's were a fun time to grow up-but that was my generation. Big hair metal bands. I still listen to 'em daily I swear. [The Brew 105.7- you can find it on the net out of Columbus Ohio]

90's reminded me of a sad time musically. Alot of angst and teenage rebellion. Nirvana opened a lot of doors to some great bands out there now though you're right.

ysfb said...

I miss Nirvana. I still listen to them everyday

SpanishGoth said...

Interesting choice of music - fortunately for me, I was a teenager in the UK when Goth first started - Sisters of Mercy, Mission, Cure, Southern Death Cult etc. Even when I started playing in a band at the arse-end of the eighties there was still lots to choose from.

Then I also enveloped Nirvana, Kyuss, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc (it's a long list). Mazza remains one of my faves and had a blast at the gig in Paris last year - 5,000 Goths appearing on the Paris Metro was surely one of the hightlights of the day ;-)