Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ant Boy

Waking up in bed in a cold sweat as a kid feeling these things crawling on my leg. Lifting up the sheet and seeing in horror my lower body covered in millions of ants. In shock so bad I couldn't speak, I tried to get them off. It was dark and I couldn't see all that well. Running into my parents room screaming and crying about being covered in ants. My parents assured me that the ants were not on me. They went with me back to my room to confirm, and to my shock, the ants were not their either. Being part my imagination was the last thing on my mind. Wondering how the ants disappeared so fast was bugging me. They left the room and I looked under the bed and under the pillows and under the sheets to try and find one single ant to prove my theory correct. Perhaps it was all in my head or could they be millions of ants just waiting for me to fall asleep. Watching the Discovery Channel or having the neighborhood bully bother me that day probably had some impact on my dream. Or the ants could've had a deeper meaning as a kid. Being held down by a million things with no escape that all have the power to bring me down with one single millionth bite. Nor sweet dream or nightmare can rid me of this horror. Pulling the sheet over my head was my only sanctuary. Afraid to look down in fear of the ants returning, I closed my eyes hard and swore to never open them until morning.

To this day I still believe their was at least one ant in my bed that night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure where you were going with this one, but it brought back strange memories.