Sunday, August 13, 2006

Parental Probation

Over the weekend last week my girlfriend's brother got a little drunk while we were spending the weekend there. After getting in a fight myself and him being drunk, he was given the talk like usual by his parents and then it was forgotten the next day. That pissed my girlfriend off. She thinks he should be punished a little harder than a talking too. She comes from a good family and her siblings never get in trouble hardly ever according to her. But she tells me that this is a first time for any of them that this has happened.

I stayed with them for the rest of the week and just got back in yesterday while my girlfriend had to come back early. He's been telling me a lot about her family. They are really lenient whenever any of them get in trouble. See the first time I got caught drinking my parents did more then ground me. They made sure I was going to have all the after effects of being drunk without the aspirin. They made sure that I was going to remember that day and never forget it. After they caught me drinking they put me on some kind of parental probation for 3 months which was something they made up. The next day I couldn't go to school because I was too wasted to do anything but they woke me up bright and early in the morning to do some work a few miles out of town for the entire day. My dad took me to a construction site to be some kind of errand boy. The noise was killing me and I couldn't take anything to stop the headache. Tears were coming out of my already bloodshot eyes. It was so painful. When I left I was so weak and I couldn't stop my hands from shaking and I felt worst than I did that morning.

For the 3 months of parental probation, I had to be home everyday no later than 9 pm unless it was a school night in which I had to be home by freaking 5 pm. If I came in 5 minutes late that was inexcusable then I would have to add another month to it. My allowance was cut in half for those 3 months and I had to do charity work somewhere for 1 day once a month during that time. And one of those charity works would have to be talking to a group of people about what caused you to be there. In my case, drinking, I had to write a report and present it at a AA meeting in front of about 40 people. After doing all that I never was on parental probation again. I made sure of that. My brother on the other hand was on their a few times. Each time you were on parental probation you would have an additional month added to it. I think he kept messing up and had to be on their for 7 months. They told him if he got in trouble one more time during the parental probation then the cops will get involved. He thought they were bluffing so he messed up and my parents made him go in front of judge. He didn't mess up again.

My parents are very strict and made sure that we paid the full price for drinking underage. The only time you were put on parental probation was when you endangered the life of yourself or others. It's understandable but jeeez! Our little sister "miss perfect" has never been on the parental probation but I know she finds ways of looking innocent.

6 comments:

Kate Michele said...

WOw and I thought my parents were strict...They were always the strictest out of all my friends parents....But oddily enough now that were in our twenties I'm the closest to my parents out of all my high school friends...

So did you ever drink again?

kimmyk said...

When I was growing up it was weird in my house-my parents bought beer for my party going into my senior year, but the stipulation was that everyone who took a drink left their keys with my dad. It looked like a Jim Jones revival with bodies everywhere possible. I never got in trouble growing up with alcohol...I'm just glad I'm not a drinker...anymore.

ysfb said...

I never drunk as much again. I was a rebelious kid.

I posted a story last year about an accident I was in involving a drunk driver a few years back. (The Story)

It doesn't really effect you as much when you hear about it or read about it. Once you're in one, you realize how fast your life can flash in front of your eyes. I saw why my parents were so strict on all of us when it came down to drinking.

Beyond Me said...

I can't stand the taste of beer and I barely drink wine. But pass me a margarita or long island ice tea anyday.

My brother is still in high school and I know that peer pressure is getting to him. I admit that I did drink a little in high school but I never came home drunk, my brother did. He should know if you are going to drink then drink responsible. All it takes is one mistake and a person is dead. I could never live with myself if that happened to me or my brother. I'm terrified to death that he'll do it again and this time he'll be driving.

I'm going to be so nervous when my children become teenagers. They are going to hate me.

ysfb said...

Talk about depressing. I gotta post something new. This post is becoming a downer.

I think your brother got the message.

BRAE said...

What a great idea! Thanks, I will be sure to use that on my kids when they get old enough.