Thursday, February 16, 2006

I Bring It Heaven and It Gives Me Hell

Letter from Max

I have a friend that is fighting over seas and I felt I would share one of his letters.

When I first joined this war I felt as if I was doing the nation a favor. Now that I see death and destruction wherever I look, I feel differently. I wake up in the middle of the night hearing gunfire and I know that people live through this every day and feel as if this is normal, but for me, it isn't.

At age 6, picking up my first gun and being able to shoot almost anything by the time I was 15, I thought the war would be the answer to all my dreams. I never seen a dead body before in front of me. This war has definitely made me a lesser man. The things I seen I hope and pray nobody will ever deal with or see. I've seen a person shoot themselves when we got near them. Just that lasting image just stuck with me and I can't get it out my head. Even when I sleep I have nightmares dealing with this and sometimes I just feel like taking my own life but then I snap back to reality and realize that life isn't always this hard and better days are just the hope I need to survive another day.

And I think about the first day I left I couldn't wait to get even with the mother fuckers who thought they can fuck with the U-S OF A. Now I just wanna go home and just be with family and friends. And don't get me wrong, I still wanna fight but the same shit over and over again is getting fucking old and painful to deal with day after day.

I wish I was back home. This isn't home and will never be the place that I die! Every day I pray to live another day. I met somebody the other week. A cool guy, rumor has it that he was killed a couple of days ago. People here just say to not make friends because you never know when they are going to die. Life is hard. I appreciate the gifts you guys are sending me. I guess when I come back you guys will throw a big party for me. Remember to bring the strippers!

I know it sounds like I'm rambling on but I need to do something to get my mind off the war. This will be one of many letters I hope to write to you guys. I'll make sure I write that in every letter because it keeps my hopes up of coming home in one piece and not in a coffin.

I'll try and post every letter I get from him to keep you guys updated.

3 comments:

kimmyk said...

Do you know if he receives any boxes from friends/family?

I remember honey would always tell me he loved to get letters and boxes from home. You can tell him my family says thanks for doing what he's doing...and to keep his head down.

I just love our soldiers! I'd send his ass a care package if you'd send me his name and his APO.

ysfb said...

He would seriously kill me if he knew I was actually posting one of his letters. I'm going to have to take this one and the future ones down when he comes back. He sends two letters, one for his family and one for us. And I always go to there house and pick up the letter. But I'll write to him on the next letter that there are other people out there that are pulling for him.

kimmyk said...

Works for me!