Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It's Time To Leave

It's an early Wednesday morning and I can't sleep. I drift in and out of sleep and realize that I've only been asleep for 10 minutes. It's 2:43 a.m. and I have too much on my head right now. I need some sleep. I go in the kitchen to find as much alcohol I could find so I could drink myself to a coma or sleep whatever comes first. Then I hear this loud shouting coming from the apartment next to me. I'm used to the shouting and I just mind my business. But damn me for wondering why they were arguing in the middle of the night. I was kind of curious. I put my ear against the wall to try and listen to what they were saying.

They've been in the apartment next to me long before I moved into the building. They always seemed like the most unhappiest couple. From what I hear, they've been married for 13 years. Whenever I talk about it I just say it's lucky number 13 and we (friends) laugh. I'm afraid to ask if she needs help or if she wants my help because I fear she might do something crazy or her husband might even kill me. Their fights are daily but this night was different somehow.

I heard her crying really loud while I was listening to them. Apparently he's been cheating on her and the girl went to tell the wife that she needs to leave him and let them live together. Then I heard a loud sound like a thump or something. I didn't hear anything for what felt like 10 hours. Then I heard somebody mumbling. I heard her then call him a bastard. She kept shouting you bastard, you bastard! He must've hit her because she sounded different but I never heard a word from him which made me wonder that she must've hit him.

I wanted to call the cops but I felt like something was holding me back. Then I heard screaming in the hallway. Me now wide awake, thinking that shit like this only happens in the movies. I then heard the guy knocking on the doors trying to get someone to help. I knew that they knew by now that something was going on. I was hoping that he wouldn't knock on my door. I looked through the peephole in the door to see what was going on and then that's when he hit my door. The sudden blast on the door knocked me to the floor. He was screaming help, she's a maniac and she's trying to kill me. I think now was the time to call the cops.

So I picked up my cell phone and dialed 9-1-1 and reported an emergency. The operator told me that it has already been reported and cops should be here any second now. So I just sat on the floor wondering what to do now. I looked through the peephole to see what was going on and I saw nothing. Some of the neighbors had their doors ajar to look out. It's now 4:06 a.m. and nothing is going on. It's like whatever happened that pass hour never happened. So I just went to bed and pretty much kept my eyes open until it was time to get up at 6:00 a.m. I was tempted to run down the fire escape or run screaming down the hallway. I decided to take the hallway.

I opened my door slowly and walked out of my apartment very cautious. Then I heard another door open. It was Todd, a person that lives 2 apartments down. I guess he heard it too. We whispered to each other to run as fast as we could to the stairs. So we did and he fell. I couldn't help but laugh because we could be doing this for no apparent reason. As I grabbed the door to the stairway I saw blood. That's when Greg vomited on me and the site of him vomiting made me vomit.

Now covered in puke we ran down the stairs. We ran into one of the ladies that worked in the office. She asked us what happened to us and we told her what happened. We asked her did she hear what happened to the couple in the apartment upstairs. And she told us what the police told her.

She said that the woman stabbed her husband in the back and tried to kill herself saying that if I can't have you then nobody can. The police were able to stop her from killing herself and her husband. The husband is in the hospital recovering. But I still can't believe this happened right next to me and I did nothing. Not even in a million years would I expect that he would ever cheat on her or for her to try and kill him.

Well here I am. Not in my apartment but at a friends apartment because I plan on staying away from Apartment Hell for awhile.

6 comments:

sparrow said...

WHAT THE FUCK?

Dude.

Move.

I mean it.

Brea said...

Holy shit - that's crazy!!

ysfb said...

But the apartment has a heated pool. A HEATED POOL!!!!

kimmyk said...

WOW!
If someone would have called then maybe he wouldn't have been stabbed in the back, but if someone had tried to stop her she could have hurt them too.

Sort of ironic though...he stabs her in the back...she returns the favor.

ysfb said...

Yeah, I guess you're right. I got to tell her that one when she gets out of jail. We'll have tea and crumpets as we talk about yesteryear.

ysfb said...

Well I'm going back home. The cops questioned me on what I heard. I asked them what will happen to them but he couldn't tell me. My guess is that they are getting a divorce. As far as I know, they never had children which I guess is a good thing. I'm pretty sure they won't allow any of them back to live in the apartment anyways :(

Maybe I can get my friend to move in to that apartment. He'll start hearing these weird voices.